Friday, July 11, 2014

Moscow Journey-July 10, 2014

So I made my,little entry this morning and can't figure out how to edit so here we go again.  Dr F told me late morning that I start isolation TODAY.  This timing is determined by the dropping of my platelets, hemoglobin, and leucocytes to the point that my immune system is defenseless, so I have to escape any,potential of infection.  The nurses cleaned the room floor to ceiling, scrubbed the walls and windows, disinfected the furniture, removed all my belongings, instructed me how to wipe myself down with various solutions to disinfect my body, vodka for the body.  The nurse said in her halting English, " No glass". I got a chuckle out of that.
    I am also restricted in what I'm allowed to eat: no raw nuts, no yogurt, no dairy, not sure of what else.  I just try to eat what they bring and can never finish even half of it.  When I am served at 8:30, 11:30, 2:30, and 5:30, I never have time to build up an appetite!  I must also drink two protein drinks a day, totaling 800 calories!  I have lost about 6 pounds as has John.  That is my other restriction: No John!  Our quarters actually consist of two small adjoining rooms separated by a wall that is glass on the top half.  John will be able to come and wave at me, but I seriously doubt any conversation can be heard.  I told him to go see Moscow and enjoy himself.  We can email every day and I'll be well cared for.  There are several other husbands here whose wives will be in isolation, so there will be people with common interests.  I hope he takes advantage of his time.  He has been so dedicated to being by my side and assisting me at every turn, he needs a break!
   Now we wait for my numbers to rise to indicate that it's safe for me to be around people and I'll be released from ISO.  Previously, patients were kept in the same room but allowed in the halls and to have company, but a big change was announced two days ago.  This is a government hospital and it was announced that Dr F has to treat half Russian cancer patients.  All of us foreign patients have inundated the hospital and Russian patients are being excluded.  That means patients are moving out of ISO to the second floor and sharing rooms.   You would have thought the sky was falling.  Dr F and Anastasia are both so thrilled to be helping people regain their abilities, it is distressing to have to make adjustments and listen to the complaints of patients.  Pray for them and  this,program please.

1 comment:

  1. I so want to post to your page....going to try one more time.

    ReplyDelete