Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Moscow Journey, July 14, 2014

I had no platelet infusion yesterday so no major differences.  My blood count was better today, platelet count of 16 instead of 4, and I did receive another infusion of platelets.  I am now officially in the stage of neutropenia, which means I'm defenseless against bacteria, fungi, or viruses.  This is normal and means I will enter engraftment in two to three days when my new immune system begins to establish itself.  That's what I'm here for!  There might be some pain involved but the nurses are very responsive to that.  I don't dread that because it means my body is doing exactly as it is intended to do.  I'll just roll with it, use lots of visualizing, and prayer.

I know I have complained about the food some, but let me tell you the positives of a Russian hospital.  They have welcomed John into isolation with me, given him fresh linens every day, plus white P.J.s, which I call his scrubs, fed him, offered him the protein drinks I am required to drink, and graciously allowed him to do much of my care.

They take vitals three times a day, do not wake you at night, unless absolutely necessary, provide four meals a day, maintain a very quiet facility, and are gracious and gentle in  manner at all times.  I understand they work 22 hour shifts and never seen to wane in energy.

It is so obvious that Dr F and Anastasia, his recently hired 23 year old MS patient (now cured)
Are elated at every celebration of the New Life created by the stem cell infusion.  No matter the stress placed on them, they are always happy, smiling, and affectionate with their patients.  Everyone who meets them falls in love with them and their passion for what they do.  I sure wish we could clone these two!

I thank each of you for going on this journey with us.  It means the world to me to have such friends pulling and praying for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment